What is a computer? A computer is an electronic device that receives and processes information to produce the desired results.
It plays an important role in our lives. Our life has become centered around computers and computerized systems.
Various Parts of a Computer: The various parts of a computer includes a system unit, monitor, keyboard, electronic-mouse, printer, speakers, CD drive, etc.
1. System Unit: The system unit is the most important part of the computer. The system unit houses the CPU (microprocessor), hard disk, random access memory (RAM), motherboard, etc.
- The CPU processes the information.
- RAM stores the temporary information while the system is on. It removes the data as soon as the system is switched off.
- Hard Disk stores the saved information is stored on the hard disk.
- The Mother Board connects and allows communication between various units of of the computer.
2. Monitor: It displays the information. Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) monitors are very bulky. Liquid crystal display (LCD) monitors are thin and light.
3. Keyboard: Letters and numbers are keyed into the computer system through the keyboard.
4. Mouse: It points the cursor and is used in selecting an icon on the screen.
The other components of a computer system includes speakers, modem, printers, etc.
Computers can quickly process huge amount of data. Computers can complete various tasks more effectively than most human-beings. It has automated complex tasks that were once considered boring and tedious for humans. Hence, Computer has greatly increased our efficiency to do various tasks. The advantages of computer is given below:
- Stores data in digital format: Computers can store millions of pages of information in digital format.
- Huge storage: We can store huge information. The present day hard-disks can store 100s of Gigabytes (GB) of information. Large businesses store their marketing and sales data in their computer systems. Even sensitive data of customers are securely protected in a computerized environment.
- Play games: When it comes to games, the choices are almost unlimited.
- Calculations: Businesses are increasingly using spreadsheets and other software as a tool for performing mathematical calculations.
- Prepare and store official documents: You can use a word processing software to prepare, edit and save any text document. The concept of paperless offices is finally taking its shape. excel- calculations
- Presentations: If your office demands that you prepare presentations, you can prepare it in a PowerPoint.
- Internet: You can connect your computer to Internet and browse through huge data. People use internet for various purposes. Students can use internet to download study materials. A research analyst can do market research over internet. A marketing person can gather relevant data across various geographical boundaries. A prospective customer can find a service provider over internet.
- Multimedia: Computer can also be used as an entertainment device. We can play various multimedia applications such as music, video, etc.
- Prepare books of accounts: With the help of accounting software, we can prepare our books of accounts.
- Reduced cost: The introduction of computer has resulted into a reduction of cost to perform various complicated tasks.
It is true that even computer is not free from defects. The disadvantages of computer is given below:
- Ever changing technology: The technology that is new today, may soon become obsolete. We need to regularly upgrade the hardware and software in a computerized environment. This involves additional time and cost.
- Increased manpower cost: The computer needs to be operated by skilled person. This has led to an increase in manpower cost for organizations. Due to the inherent risks, huge expenditure are made ensure data security.
- Computer stops responding: At times the operating system of the computer may stop responding or functioning. Though this problem is generally solved by restarting the computer, but sometimes you may have to take the support of the technician.
- Viruses: The threat of virus and malware attack always remains in the computerized environment. To cope up with these risks, various anti-virus software are available in the market. If you are using a good antivirus, you are almost sure that your private information and other sensitive data are secured.
- Reduction in employment opportunity: The introduction of computers has negatively impacted the employability of computer illiterate people.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and ArticlesTagged With: Science and Technology
The Computer is an electronic device that receives input, processes the data and provides outputs in order to provide valid desired results. The Computer has made our lives so easy and is now used in almost every field. The Computer plays a very important role in our life. It can take many decisions so fast which a human takes much time to take those decisions. Computers have changed the way in which we live in our society. Computers are wirelessly linked to a common network and are very useful in sharing many important data. We can finish our daily projects, presentations and other work very easily with the help computers. After all, computers also have some disadvantages. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of computer discussed:
Advantages of Computer (Pros of Computer)
Different tasks can be easily performed with the help of computers. Computers can perform long calculations just in a fraction of seconds. Computers save our time, cost and efforts in performing various tasks. Banks use computers to manage the accounts of their customers. Organizations also use computers to maintain data about their employees.
Read Also: Advantages and Disadvantages of Mobile – Essay, Speech, Article, Paragraph
Computers can store huge amount of data. It stores data in digital format. You can also play various types of games on computers. You can also have access to the Internet through computers. You can login to your social media accounts with the help of computers. Computers perform all the tasks with 100% accuracy and that too at high speed.
Computers can work without any error and tiredness. The computer is a versatile device and is very flexible in performing its operations. Computers are reliable machines. Computers can reduce our paper work as all the data can be digitally stored and analyzed through computers. We can share the files and documents easily with so many people at a time. A computer also enhances communication. With the help of computers, online services can be provided to the society to let them live with ease.
Also Read: An Ultimate Guide on How to Write an Essay on ThePensters?
Disadvantages of Computer (Cons of Computer)
The computer has also some disadvantages because of which the society is affected. As many of work in the organization are performed by computers, therefore, the organization does not require human resources which add up to the problem of unemployment. A lot of time and energy is wasted by continuously using computers in activities like playing games etc.
There is a privacy problem with computers as the data can be accessed by some unauthorized person with the help of the network. It has also lead to cyber crimes through online transactions, hacking accounts, using someone’s private data for personal use etc. The health of human beings is also harmed by using computers. It harms our eyes, many neck and back problems etc. the waste part of computers create many toxic elements which affect our environment in a negative manner.
Due to change in technology, the computers we use become obsolete and we, therefore, require new computer each time with updated technology which involves high cost. Computers may suffer from various problems such as not responding which requires restart and waste time and affect our work. Computers are also prone to viruses or hackers can send you spam which contains viruses and can destroy all your data.
A computer does not have its own IQ. We need to give it instructions as it cannot take its own decisions. If the main server of computers breaks down all the system can be destroyed which affect the working of the organization. If your computer suffers from any problem, you require technical people to handle which involves high cost. Setting up a computer involves high cost.
Computer networking is a fast and convenient way to transfer data and make our work load less and perform all the tasks fast. But still, computers have some disadvantages we must be aware of. Therefore use computers in a significant manner.
Incoming Search Terms:
Advantages and Disadvantages of Computer – Essay, Speech, Article4.5 (90.71%) 127 votes