Mendeley is a web application that helps you collect, manage, and cite research sources. It's easy to use, accessible within your web browser and/or on your desktop, and best of all it's free. Mendeley allows you to organize, annotate, and highlight PDFs, add to your citations, organize them into collections for different projects, and create bibliographies using Word or OpenOffice. It is available to use in any web browser and surprisingly powerful. Mendeley also has a downloadable desktop application for your Mendeley library.
The easiest method to start using Mendeley is from your favorite web browser. Sign up for a web library and/or download your Mendeley library directly to your desktop from the Mendeley homepage by clicking on the download button in the top right-hand corner. Then install the Mendeley browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. Documents can be downloaded to your desktop Mendeley library, and you can sync your desktop library and your web library with one click.
What is Mendeley?
Mendeley is a free citation manager and academic social network. In addition, Mendeley allows you to:
- Full-text search across papers
- Annotate and highlight within PDFs
- Organize PDFs and other documents
- Sync across multiple platforms: desktop, web and mobile devices
- Create citations and bibliographies in Word, OpenOffice and LibreOffice
- Collaborate with private groups, public groups and the built-in Mendeley social network
The free version of Mendeley limits you to:
- 2 GB of personal web storage
- 1 Private group of up to 3 people
- 100 MB of group web storage
How do I get Mendeley?
To start using Mendeley:
- Create a Mendeley account at: https://www.mendeley.com/
- Download and install Desktop version of Mendeley
- Open Mendeley on your computer and log in using your account credentials